Windows 7 Explorer is crashing with copy/paste

Started by BillDee, December 04, 2016, 06:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillDee

I think CH is attached to the Explorer copy/paste.

I turned all of the "Shell" options to "No", thinking that was the problem and would fix the problem.
But is hasn't. (do I have to restart Windows??)

If I do any kind of file copy and paste in Windows Explorer now, it crashes and won't do it.

I don't always have CH running, but it even crashes when it is running.

HELP!

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1.
CH 1.42

Ixen

Please update to the newest Copy Handler first (1.44 at the point of this writing) and check if the problem still exist.

BillDee

Thanks.

I upgraded to 1.44 and re-booted and it still fails with a drag-n-drop COPY.

It didn't start this until I upgraded to 1.42. (from 1.3.something I think)

I also tried it with CH running and it still occurs.

A drag-n-drop MOVE works okay.

It also does it if I do a Ctrl+C COPY of a file or Right-Click Context Menu COPY,
and then try to PASTE into another Explorer window.

So I can't do any copying at all.

The error I get is "Windows Explorer has stopped working.
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

It then closes all Explorer windows open.

Ixen

Just to be sure - explorer crashes when:
- you press "(CH) Paste" menu command when previously something was put into the clipboard using "Copy", but it works properly when it was "Cut" previously?
- you drag&drop some files and press "(CH) Copy here", but it works properly when you choose "(CH) Move here"?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

To pinpoint the problem:
- is it possible for you to generate a crash dump of the crashed explorer? (you can check the path "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" - there might be some explorer crash dumps there already)
- do you have any other software that modifies the drag&drop context menu?

BillDee

Only the second part.

NO form of copying works. (even if cut)

Only MOVE works. (but not cut-paste-move -- only drag-n-drop move)

I don't know how to create a crash dump for Explorer.
It's such a low-level program I would be surprised if that was possible.

I am using "Ditto". But it still doesn't work if I turn Ditto off. (exit and close the resident program)

BillDee

I also can't copy files to other devices.
So I can't copy anything to a flash drive, for example, no matter what method I try.

Ixen

I tried to reproduce the problem on Win10 and Win7 with CH 1.50beta1 and it really seem to work without issue (could you please re-test with that version?).
If I'm going to fix the problem I'll need your help to do so.

If you're willing to help, please attach here (or send me an e-mail to ixen-at-copyhandler-com) with the following information:
1. The ch.xml configuration (you can find it at C:\Users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Local\Copy Handler
2. The crash dump if you can handle it - the short instruction could be found here: https://forum.copyhandler.com/general-support-(english-only)/explorer-crashes-on-network-with-copyhandler/msg536/#msg536
Also, please check if you already have such dumps automatically generated by system in here: C:\Users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Local\CrashDumps (search for files with "explorer" in name).
3. The screenshot of the explorer context menu (the one with "(CH) Paste" as well as the one with "(CH) Copy here").

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk