News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

35 % of the CPU when incative

Started by Donk, November 21, 2016, 08:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donk

Although CopyHandler does not do anything, it uses about 35 % of the CPU all the time:

How could one stop it?
Windows 10 Home, 64bit

Ixen

Can you post here which version of CH are you using?
Does it eat that much CPU after fresh launch or only after doing some operations there?

Donk

Many thanks.

Sorry for leaving that information out:

QuoteDoes it eat that much CPU after fresh launch or only after doing some operations there?
Both, after starting it and after some operations. Or after fresh installation: sorry, I cannot remember it anymore, respectively, may be I didn't noticed it at the beginning, but it might have been like that form the beginning. When I start CH now, it immediately uses such big recourse of the CPU.
Windows 10 Home, 64bit

Ixen

That is very strange behavior.

The below assumes that you have installed CH using the official installer. If you use the portable version, the directory to backup will be inside the program directory.

Could you please:
1. Backup the directory "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Copy Handler\" somewhere (in case it is needed for some further investigation). Please do that while CH is not running.
2. Delete the directory and run CH again.

Let me know if it still eats the CPU that much.

Donk

Sorry, it is the portable version, didn't know it is not displayed in the version information.

So, I guess, I do not have such a folder, sorry.
Windows 10 Home, 64bit

Ixen

So that should be even easier to test - please re-download the newest clean portable version and launch it. Please just unpack the version to a new directory and run ch64.exe (do not change the configuration and do not modify the unpacked files in any way) and let me know it problem persists.
I checked the cpu usage for freshly downloaded ch portable and on my system it is around 0.01%. I'll try to reproduce it on Windows 10.

Also - please check what version of Windows 10 you do have (the exact number).

Donk

CH does not always use such big CPU resources. Sometimes it does sometimes it does not. I will try it later.
Windows 10 Home, 64bit

Ixen

Thanks. The only unusual thing here is that you're using the Core version of Windows 10 - I haven't seen such version in the wild yet. Did I read it correctly, or the tool reports the wrong version?
Also, isn't build 14393 an Insider build?

Donk

Very sorry, I really have any idea (of anything), I would think the information should be correct:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Nqzri6iYvLD3rohQB8r2aZY

QuoteAlso, isn't build 14393 an Insider build?
I absoulutely do not know, it was supplied with the notebook, so it should be a quite usual (ugly) Win version, I guess.

What is an insider build? Is it better than a usual one? And what is the core version of Windows 10?

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

Ixen

Yup, the new information seems to be more reliable.
Insider builds are more like beta version of Windows. Windows Core - seems like it is for some embedded systems, hence my confusion.

With this information I'd say everything is quite normal - standard Windows version, system is not resource-staved. Should work properly.
I'll wait for you to let me know how the fresh portable version is behaving freshly after unpacking. And possible some more information on when CH takes too much CPU and when it does stop doing that.

As additional help here - could you please check which CH thread is taking the cpu?
If yes, then:
1. Please install (or use portable version) Process Hacker (http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/downloads.php )
2. Download the debugging symbols for CH 1.44 (https://sourceforge.net/projects/copyhandler/files/copyhandler/1.44/chsymbols-1.44.zip/download) and unpack all the pdb files to the location where ch64.exe exists (the portable CH location). In the end you should have the ch64.exe and ch64.pdb next to each other.
3. Run CH and ensure it is taking much of the CPU without doing anything,
4. Run the Process Hacker and locate ch64.exe on the process list. Double click on that.
5. Switch to Threads tab and attach a screenshot here.

Donk

OK, I understand.

After having set up a new portable version CH behaves correctly at the moment. CPU usage like usual.

Good, I will try to do the items when CH uses much CPU.

The old CH - causing the problem - and the new one run properly, no high CPU usage. May be there is a connection to using the new one, so the new on somehow caused that the old one runs well now. Or changing the path of the old one / new one caused it.

Many thanks
Windows 10 Home, 64bit

Ixen

Good. Let me know if it happens again and in what circumstances.

Donk

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

Deplorable Inu

Will try, but can confirm, it was happening to me as well.  I restarted and it went down again, had to kill process ch64.exe, the cpu usage seems to slowly cycle upwards from what I can tell so far, very slowly doing the 0% to x% fluctuation until it gets big, is my guess.  I only watched it long enough to see it grow from 0-0.1% to eventually 0-0.4%

Ixen

I'd say that 0.1-0.4% is quite normal CPU usage for CH. What I can't really reproduce is the very high cpu usage when CH does not do anything (does not perform any copy/move operation). If you find the reliable way to reproduce the high cpu usage - please share it so that it may be fixed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk