Author Topic: HDD totally fragmented after using Copy Handler!!  (Read 2660 times)

Offline revnu

• View Profile
HDD totally fragmented after using Copy Handler!!
« on: March 28, 2017, 04:53:17 pm »
Hello,

I want to report something, that really makes me not use Copy Handler.

I just copied my old HDD (more than 1TB) to a fresh HDD (both NTFS). I decided to copy the files and not to clone, because the old drive was a little bit fragmented and I wanted a fresh start.
As im used from copying with Windows explorer it just copies file bye file, and they not fragmented afterwards. But not with Copy Handler....I get terrible Results. See the attachments. My sourcedrive has only 300 fragmented files. But on the fresh drive, Copy Handler copied on, their are 26705 fragmented files. To be honest its totally fragmented afterwards, so Im going to copy all files again with Windows explorer. Man thats a senseless worndown of my drive, if I knew that before, I would never use CP  >:(

See this as critic, bugreport....or tell me why this could be normal!
revnu

Offline revnu

• View Profile
Re: HDD totally fragmented after using Copy Handler!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 10:02:39 am »
Anyone active here that wants to discuss this topic?

Offline fank

• View Profile
Re: HDD totally fragmented after using Copy Handler!!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 10:10:53 am »
What to say? The same problem. I just copied 3 large files, one after another, and every time it occupied a block and then the other blocks very far from the first. I'm looking for a solution, with or without CH.
Update: it seems that supercopier has an option to preallocate disk space. http://ultracopier.first-world.info/supercopier.html or maybe the newest ultracopier
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:14:23 am by fank »